Tomato Damping off: Pythium aphanidermatum
- Damping off of tomato occurs in two stages, i.e. the pre-emergence and the post-emergency phase.
- In the pre-emergence, the phase the seedlings are killed just before they reach the soil surface.
- The young radical and the plumule are killed and there is complete rotting of the seedlings.
- The post-emergence phase is characterised by the infection of the young, juvenile tissues of the collar at the ground level.
- The infected tissues become soft and water soaked. The seedlings topple over or collapse.
Used raised seed bed
Provide light, but frequent irrigation for better drainage.
Drench with Copper oxychloride 0.2% or Bordeaux mixture 1%.
Seed treatment with fungal culture Trichoderma viride (4 g/kg of seed) or Thiram (3 g/kg of seed) is the only preventive measure to control the pre-emergence damping off.
Spray 0.2% Metalaxyl when there is the cloudy weather.
- TamilNadu Agritech Portal