Swarming Caterpillar: Spodoptera mauritia
Symptom of damage:
- Larvae cut the seedlings in large scale
- Cattle grazed appearance is found at severely infested fields
- They feed gregariously and march from field to field
Identification of insect pest:
- Egg: eggs are spherical and creamy in colour, which is laid in a group covered over with grey hairs
- Larva: caterpillars are light green with yellowish white lateral and dorsal stripes in the early stages and later become dark brown or grayish green in colour with a crescent (semi-circular) shaped black spot on the side of each segment
- Pupa: pupates in an earthen cocoon in the soil. Pupa is dark brown and measures 16-17 mm long.
- Adult: moth is medium sized, stout built dark brown with a conspicuous triangular black spot on the forewings. Hind wings are brownish white with thin black margins.
- Spray Chlorpyriphos 20% EC 1250 ml/ha during late evening
- TNAU Agritech Portal.