Stem Fly: Melanagromyza sojae
Symptoms of damage
- The eggs are laid on leaves.
- After hatching from the egg yellowish maggots bore the nearest vein of the leaf.
- The maggot then reaches the stem through petiole and bore down the stem.
- If the infected stem is opened by splitting, the distinct zig zag reddish tunnel can be seen with maggot or pupae inside it.
- The maggots feed on cortical layers of the stem, may extend to tap root, killing of the plant.
Identification of the pest
- Maggot: White in colour and remains inside the stem.
- Adult: Flies are shining black and about 2 mm long.
- Deep summer ploughing.
- Avoid pre-monsoon sowing.
- Use optimum seed rate and plant spacing.
- Proper crop rotation with dissimilar crops should be followed.
- Remove and destroy the damaged plant parts.
- Soil application of phorate 10 G @ 10 kg/ha or carbofuran 3 G @ 30 kg/ha at the time of sowing will prevent early infestation by stem fly.
- One or two sprays of 0.03% dimethoate 30 EC or 0.05% quinalphos 25 EC can stop the damage.
- TamiNadu Agritech Portal