Stem borer: Chilo partellus
Symptom of damage:
- Withering and drying of central shoot -“dead heart”
- Red mining in the midrib
- Bore holes visible on the stem near the nodes.
- Tender folded leaves have parallel “shot hole”
- Affected parts of the stem may show internally tunnelling caterpillars.
Identification of the pest:
- Egg: Scale-like flat oval eggs in batches on the under surface of leaves near the midribs
- Larva: Yellowish brown with a brown head and prothoracic shield
- Adult: Moth is medium size, straw coloured
- Collect the stubbles after harvest and burn to destroy diapausing borers
- Set up light trap till midnight to attract and kill the stem borer moth
- Mix any one of the following insecticides with sand (total quantity of 50 kg)
- Phorate 10G@ 8 kg
- Carbofuran 3G@ 17 kg
- Carbaryl 50 WP@ 1 kg (500 lit spray fluid/ha).
- TNAU Agritech Portal