Stem borer: Chilo partellus
Symptoms of damage:
- Larvae mines the midrib to cause “dead heart”
- Central shoot withers due to internal feeding
- Young larva crawls and feeds on tender folded leaves causing typical “shot hole” symptom.
Identification of the pest:
- Larva: Yellowish brown with a brown head
- Adult: Moth is straw coloured
- Mix any of the following granular insecticides with sand to make up a total quantity of 50 kg and apply in the leaf whorls on the 20th DAS
- Phorate 10% CG10 kg/ha
- Carbaryl 4% G 20 kg/ha.
- For stem borer, release egg parasitoid Trichogramma chilonis @2,50,000 /ha coinciding egg laying period. Three releases at weekly interval are desirable. Third release is to be accompanied with larval parasitoid Cotesia flavipes @ 5000/ha
- If granular insecticides are not used, spray any one of the followings
- Carbaryl 50 WP 1 kg/ha on the 20th day of sowing (500 l of spray fluid/ha)
- Dimethoate 30% EC 660 ml/ha
- TNAU Agritech Portal