Soybean Aphid: Aphis spp.
Symptoms of damage
- They suck the plant sap from the stem, leaves and pods which cause a reduction in yield.
- The infested leaves are wilted or curled.
- Plant stunting, reduced pod and seed counts, puckering and yellowing of leaves.
Identification of the pest
- Winged adults: Have a black head and thorax.
- Aphids: Excrete honeydew on the surface of lower leaves.
- Dusting of cow dung ash and spraying of clay suspension as asphyxiants (in small area and low incidence of sucking insects)
- Spray 0.05 % quinalphos 25 EC, oxydemeton methyl 25 EC, or dimethoate 30 EC @ 2ml /lit at the crop age of 35-40 days and repeat after 15 days if needed.
- TamilNadu Agritech Portal