Shoot fly: Atherigona approximata
Symptom of damage:
- Young plants dry up causing dead heart
- Ear heads- chaffy grains in the tip and well-developed grains in the lower portion of ear heads
Identification of the pest:
- Adult – Greyish white fly
- Use seeds pelleted with insecticides
- Seed treatment with imidacloprid 70 WS 10 g/kg of seeds
- Plough soon after harvest, remove and destroy the stubbles.
- Set up the TNAU low cost fish meal trap 12/ha
- Spray any one of the following insecticides
- Methyl demeton 25 EC 500 ml/ha
- Dimethoate 30 EC 500 ml/ha
- Neem seed kernel extract 5%
- Neem Azal 1%
- TNAU Agritech Portal.