Shoot bug: Peregrinus maidis
Symptom of damage:
- Plants become unhealthy stunted and yellow
- The leaves wither from top downwards
- Panicle formation is inhibited and the plants die if the attack is severe.
- Honeydew secreted by the bug causes the growth of sooty mould on leaves.
Identification of the pest:
- Egg: Laid inside the leaf tissue and covered with a white waxy substance
- Adult: Yellowish brown to dark brown with translucent wings
- Spray any following insecticides
- Diazine 0.04%
- Dimethoate 0.02%
- Phosphomidon @250 ml in 450-500 litres water/ha
- TNAU Agritech Portal.