Sapota does not suffer from serious pests and diseases but there are some Sapota leaf diseases which can cause damage.
Major Sapota leaf diseases are:-
1.Leaf spot: Phaeoleospora indica
- The disease is characterised by numerous, small, pinkish to reddish brown spots with whitish centers in the leaf.
- Spray Mancozeb @ 0.25% or Copper oxychloride 0.2% to control the disease
2.Sapota Sooty mould: Capnodium sp.
- It is a fungal disease developed on honeydew-like excretion secreted by aphids and scale insects.
- The fungus slowly covers the entire leaf area severely affecting the process of photosynthesis.
- This results in reduced translocation of food to the fruits, which leads to a reduction in their size.
- Spray starch solution 5% to remove the fungal growth.
- Control insects by spraying systemic insecticides.
- TamilNadu Agritech Portal