Major Pomegranate diseases are:-
1.Pomegranate Cercospora Fruit Spot: Cercospora sp.
- The affected fruits showed small irregular black spots, which later on coalesce, into big spots.
- The diseased fruits should be collected and destroyed.
- Two to three spray at 15 days interval with Mancozeb 0.25%.
2.Pomegranate Leaf Spot or Blight: Colletotrichum gloesporioides; Pseudocercospora punicae; Curvularia lunata and Cercospora punicae)
- The disease is characterised by the appearance of small, irregular and water-soaked spots on leaves.Affected leaves fall off.
- Spraying Mancozeb 0.25 % at 15 days interval gives good control of the disease.
3.Pomegranate Alternaria fruit spot: Alternaria alternata
- Small reddish brown circular spots appear on the fruits.
- As the disease advances these spots, coalesce to form larger patches and the fruits start rotting.
- The rails get affected which become pale and become unfit for consumption.
- All the affected fruits should be collected and destroyed. Spraying Mancozeb 0.25 % effectively controls the disease.
4. Bacterial blight: Xanthomonas axonopodis pv. punicae
- The appearance of one to several small water soaked, dark coloured irregular spots on leaves resulting in premature defoliation under severe cases.
- The pathogen also infects stem and branches causing girdling and cracking symptoms.
- Spots on fruits were dark brown irregular slightly raised with an oily appearance, which split open with L-shaped cracks under severe cases.
The primary source of inoculum is infected cuttings. A secondary source of inoculum has Wind splashed rains.
Continuous/intermittent rainfall for a longer period, congenial maximum (29.4 to 35.60C) and minimum temperature (19.5 to 27.30C) and relative humidity (63 to 87 %) were found favourable for the development and spread of the disease.
- Wide row spacing
- Selection of disease free seedlings for fresh planting
- Pruning affected branches, fruits regularly and burning
- Bahar should be done in Hasta or Ambe Bahar
- Give minimum four-month rest after harvesting the fruits
- Before pruning it should be sprayed with 1% Bordeaux mixture
- After Ethrel spraying or defoliation, Paste or smear with 0.5g Streptomycin Sulphate + 2.5g Copper oxy chloride + 200g red oxide per lit of water.
- Spray 0.5 g Streptomycin Sulphate or Bacterinashak +2.5 g Copper oxy chloride per litre of water.
Next day or another day spray with 1 g ZnSo4 +1 g MgSo4 +1 g Boron +1g CaSo4 per lit of water.
- TamilNadu Agritech Portal