Pink bollworm: Pectinophora gossypiella
Symptoms of damage
- Rosetted flowers
- Excreta observed at the point of bore holes by larval feeding. When bolls are opened, damaged seed kernel would be observed.
- They cut window holes (interlocular burrowing) in the two adjoining seeds thereby forming “double seeds“
- The attacked buds and immature bolls drop off
- Discoloured lint and burrowed seeds
Identification of the pest
- Shows colour variation. Young larva are white and late instar becomes almost black, brown or green to pale or pink
- Several dark and light alternating bands running the entire length
- Small moth
- Forewings are brown or dull yellow olive-grey with dark spots
- Hind wings margins are deeply fringed.
- TamilNadu Agritech Portal