Mango is king of all fruits.There are a number of insects damaging mango tree.Some insects are given below:
Major pests of Mango are:-
|9.||Mango nut weevil|
|11.||Leaf gall midges||
|12.||Leaf Twisting weevil||
Integrated Pest Management Strategies
- Deep ploughing of orchard immediately after harvest to expose eggs and pupae.
- Avoid dense planting, prune the overcrowded and overlapping branches for control of hoppers.
- Heavy irrigation in October also helps in the destruction of eggs.
- Collection and destruction of stone weevil infested fallen fruits and stones help in reduction and carryover of infestation.
- To control first instar nymphs of mealy bugs mud plastering 25 cm wide, 400 Gauge Polythene sheet should be fastened to the tree.
- Early harvesting of mature fruits to avoid fruit fly infestation.
- Bagging of fruits to avoid egg laying by fruit flies.
- Collection and destruction of dropped fruits.
- Removal of webs made by leaf Webber by leaf removing the device and burning them.
- Bio-agents play a significant role in population suppression of various insect pests and diseases and should be conserved in the field.
- A large number of parasitoids and predators are very active against mango pests in the fields. These are Rodolia fumida, Suminus renardi, Coccinellids, Beauveria bassiana, Verticillium lacani, Mallada boninensis, Podynema spp., Platygaster sp, Eupulmus sp., Systasis dasynearue, Micronimus timidis, Baccha pulchrifrons, etc.
- TamilNadu Agritech Portal
- Directorate of Plant Protection, Quarantine & Storage