Major Pepper diseases are:-
1.Phytophthora foot rot / quick wilt – Phytopthora capsici.
a. Die back:
- The aerial branches get infected at any point. At the site of infection of branch, the discoloration occurs and rotting progress upwards and downwards resulting in die-back symptoms.
- The lateral branches of the affected vines break off at the nodes and fall off.
b. Foot rot or Collar rot:
- The stem near the ground level get infected and the rotting and death of vine occurs within 2-3 weeks.
- The affected portion emits a bad odour. The necrosis progress down wards to the underground stem and to the root system.
c. Root rot:
- The infection starts at the main root or at feeder root. The leaves become yellow and defoliate.
- Selection of healthy nursery material.
- Provide good drainage.
- Soil drenching with 1% Bordeaux mixture after removal of the affected plant.
- Spraying with 1% Bordeaux mixture (or) COC 0.25% (or) Alitte 0.3%
- Soil application of neem cake and Trichoderma viride or P. fluorescens\
2.Slow decline / slow wilt: Fusarium, Rhizoctonia and Diplodia along with nematode infection.
- General yellowing of lower leaves which progress upwards.
- The affected leaves become flaccid and fall off.
- Tip burn of leaves and die-back of twigs appear. Root knot can be seen in the vine showing the yellowing of leaves. The affected vines gradually die.
- Vascular browning can be seen.
- Soil drenching with Copper oxychloride in May– June and September– October.
3.Anthracnose / Pollu disease: Gloeosporiumgloeosporioides
- Symptoms appear in leaves and stems. Circular or irregular grey spots appear in the leaves.
- Concentric rings of acervuli appear on the upper surface of the leaves. On the stem the infection appears at the tips spreads downwards and kill the entire vine.
- When infections occur in leaf axils the spikes become affected and fall off.
- Berry becomes brown in colour and extends downwards from the upper portion. And become chaffy (Pollu means hollow thing)
- Three rounds of spray with Bordeaux mixture 1%
- TamilNadu Agritech Portal