Organic Package for Rice- Barley+Mustard- Summer Moong System is given below:-
‘Saket-4’ and other low input requiring and resistant varieties to insect pest and diseases.
The appropriate time for transplanting of rice is the first week of July.
Seed rate and nursery raising:
Optimum seed rate for nursery raising of rice is 25 kg/ha.
Transplanting and Spacing:
Normally 25-day old seedlings should be transplanted in the well-puddled field at the row to row /plant to plant distance of 20 and 15 cm, respectively.
- Well rotten FYM @ 10.0 t/ha should be incorporated into the soil at least 20 days
- Vermicompost @ 5.0 t/ ha should be top dressed before second irrigation.
- Biofertilizers like Azotobactor (nitrogen fixer) and Phosphorus Solubilizing. Bacteria (PSB) each should be added @10 kg/ha in the soil after final land preparation.
Depending upon the amount and frequency of rains during the growing season 10-12 irrigations (5 cm water/ irrigation) should be applied intermittently.
To control the weeds effectively in rice, the field should be well puddled. The weeds can be effectively controlled manually by two hand-weeding at 20 days interval.
- Solar seed treatment for 2-3 hours during May-June for seed borne diseases like bacterial leaf blight.
- Seedling treatment with Pseudomonas fluorescence culture @ 4 kg/ha and Trichoderma harzianum culture @ 5 kg/ha for soil borne diseases.
- Foliar application of garlic + green chillies paste (1:1) @10 kg/ha for the gundhi bug.
- Field release of Tricho-cards (Tricogramma japonicum) 5-6 times @ 30 cards/ha for stem borer and leaf folder.
- Foliar spray of Pseudomonas fluorescence at dough stage for sheath blight.
2.Barley + mustard (4:1)
Barley variety ‘Azad’ with mustard variety ‘Pusa Bold’ and other low input requiring and resistant varieties of crops to insect pest and diseases.
In the rice-barley + mustard-summer moong cropping system, barley + mustard can be sown optimally up to the first week of November.
Optimum seed rate for sowing barley is 80 kg/ha and for mustard is 4 kg/ha. In intercropping (4:1) 60 kg seed of barley and 2 kg seed of mustard will be sufficient. Organically certified seed should be preferred for sowing.
In barley, row to row 20 cm and plant to plant 5 cm distance should be maintained while, in each 5th row in the field at same row distance mustard can be sown keeping plant to plant spacing of 10 cm.
- Well rotten FYM @ 8.0 t/ha should be incorporated into the soil at least 20 days
- Vermicompost @ 4.0 t/ ha is top dressed before second irrigation.
- Biofertilizers like Azotobactor (nitrogen fixer) and Phosphorus Solubilizing.
Bacteria (PSB) should be applied each @10 kg/ha in soil after final land
The crop should be irrigated at critical crop growth stages. Five irritations including pre-sowing irrigations are sufficient for raising barley+ mustard intercrops.
Weeds under organic cultivation of barley + mustard can be
easily managed by two manual intercultural operations depending upon the severity of
- Use certified seeds and grow resistant varieties for covered smut
- Early/timely sowing of mustard to avoid white rust.
- Spray neem based insecticides for mustard aphid.
Variety ‘Pusa Vishal’ and other low input requiring and resistant varieties to insect pest and diseases can also be grown.
Followed by barley + mustard, summer moong can be sown optimally up to the second week of April.
Row to row 30 cm and plant to plant 10 cm distance should be maintained.
- Vermicompost @ 2.0 t/ha should be top dressed before second irrigation.
- Biofertilizers like Rhizobium @ 200g/10kg seed as seed treatment and Phosphorus
Solubilizing Bacteria (PSB) @10 kg/ha should be applied as a soil treatment.
Besides the pre-sowing irrigation moong crop can be raised successfully by applying 2-3 irrigations during summer.
Being weed smothering crop, weed in summer moong is not a problem. However, need basing one manual intercultural operation can be done.
- Institute Technology Management Unit ,Dr B. Gangwar, Project Director
Project Directorate for Farming Systems Research,
Modipuram, Meerut-250 110, Uttar Pradesh