Onion White Rot: Sclerotium cepivorum
- The leaves become yellow and die-back and when the plants are pulled up, roots are found to be rotten and the base of the bulb covered with a white or grey fungal growth.
- Later, numerous small black spherical sclerotia are produced. The bulb of the onion completely rots.
- Crop rotation and clean seed are the only effective control.
- Heavy manuring with organic manures reduces the disease in the crop. Seed dressing with Benomyl, Carbendazim or Thiophanate-methyl (100 to 150 g/kg seed) gives effective control.
- TamilNadu Agritech Portal