Major Nutmeg diseases are:-
1.Nutmeg Leaf spot and shot hole: Colletotrichum gloeosporioides
- Sunken spots surrounded by a yellow halo are the initial symptoms.
- Subsequently, the central portion of the necrotic region drops off resulting in shot hole symptoms.
- Dieback symptoms are also observed in some of the mature branches.
- On young seedlings drying of the leaves and subsequent defoliation are seen.
- The disease can be controlled by spraying 1% Bordeaux mixture two or three times during the rainy season.
2.Nutmeg Fruit rot: Colletotrichum gloeosporioides and Botryodiplodia theobromae
- This is caused by Colletotrichum gloeosporioides and Botryodiplodia theobromae.
- Water soaked lesions are seen on the fruits, the tissues of which become discoloured and disintegrated.
- Premature splitting of the pericarp and rotting of mace and seed are the main symptoms of the disease.
- The internal tissues are found rotten. The fallen fruits become enveloped with the growth of the organism.
- The disease can be controlled by spraying 1% Bordeaux mixture
- TamilNadu Agritech Portal