Leafhopper: Amrasca (Biguttula biguttula) devastans
Symptoms of damage:
- Tender leaves become yellow
- The margin of the leaves start curling downwards and reddening sets in
- In the case of severe infestation, leaves get a bronze or brick red colour which is typical “hopper burn” symptom
- The margin of leaves gets broken and crumbles into pieces when crushed
- The leaves dry, shed and the crop growth gets retarded
Identification of the pest:
- Nymph – Light green, translucent, wingless found between the veins of leaves on the under surface
- Adult – Green, wedge-shaped leafhopper.
- ETL: 50 nymphs or adults/50 leaves
- Apply carbofuran 3% CG 25 kg/ha
- Spray any one of the following insecticides
Imidacloprid 200 SL 100 ml/ha Fipronil 5%SC 1500-2000 ml/ha Phosphamidon 40 SL 600 ml/ha Methyl demeton 25% EC 1200 ml/ha Acetamiprid 20% SP 50 g/ha Phosalone 35% EC 857 ml/ha Azadirachtin 0.03% WSP 500-1000 g/ha Profenofos 50% EC 1000 ml/ha Buprofezin 25% SC 1000 ml/ha Thiacloprid 21.7% SC 100-125 ml/ha Clothianidin 50% WDG 30-40 kg/ha Thiamethoxam 30% FS 10 kg/ha Diafenthiuron 50% WP 600 g/ha Thiamethoxam 25% WG 100 g/ha Dimethoate 30% EC 660 ml/ha NSKE 5% 25 kg/ha
- Where the leafhopper is a big menace apply neem oil formulation 0.5 % or neem oil 3% thrice at fortnightly intervals.
- TamilNadu Agritech Portal