Groundnut leaf miner: Aproaerema modicella
Symptoms of damage:
- Young larvae initially mine into the leaflets, feed on the mesophyll and form small brown blotches on the leaf
- Later stages larvae web the leaflets together and feed on them, remaining within the folds
- Severely attacked field looks “burnt” from a distance
Identification of the pest:
- Eggs: Shiny white and are laid singly on the underside of the leaflets.
- Larvae: Green in colour with dark head and prothroax
- Adult: Brownish grey moth, 6 mm long with 10 mm wingspan. Forewings with a white spot on the costal margin.
ETL: 1 larvae/meter row
- Set up light traps @12/ha
- Apply any one of the following insecticides
- Dimethiate 30 EC 660 ml/ha
- Malathion 50 EC 1.25 l/ha
- Methyl demeton 25% EC 1000 ml/ha.
- TamiNadu Agritech Portal