Groundnut Jassids: Empoasca kerri
Symptoms of damage:
- Nymphs and adults inject toxins resulting in whitening of veins and chlorotic patches especially at the tips of leaflets, in a typical ‘V’ shape.
- The heavily attacked crop looks yellow and gives a scorched appearance known as ‘hopper burn’.
Identification of the pest:
- Adult: Elongate, active, wedge shape, green insects.
- Timely sowing of the crop and field sanitation
- Crop rotation with non-host crop
- Intercropping with pearl millet
- Avoid groundnut-castor intercrop, it increases the infestation
- Irrigate once to avoid prolonged mid-season drought to prevent pre-harvest
- Spray dimethoate 30EC @ 650ml/ha in 600 liter water.
- TamilNadu Agritech Portal