Groundnut bud borer: Anarsia ephippias
Symptoms of damage:
- The larva bores into the terminal buds and shoots and tip of the stem
- The tender leaflets emerging from central spindle will show shot-hole symptoms initially
- In severe infestation emerging leaflets will have only the midribs or several oblong feeding holes.
Identification of the pest:
- Larvae: Chocolate brown in colour and 10-15 mm long
- Neem oil 3 per cent and leaf extract of Vitex negumdo (notchi) 5 per cent are effective against this pest
- The parasitoids Brachymeria sp cause parasitism up to 24 per cent on larvae.
- TamilNadu Agritech Portal.