Casual Organism : Drechslera oryzae, D. rostratum, D.tetramera, Curvularia lunata, Trichoconis padwickii, Sarocladium oryzae, Alternaria tenuis, Fusarium moniliforme, Cladosporium herbarum, Epicoccum purpurascens, Cephalosporium sp., Phoma sp. and Nigrospora sp. are associated with the discoloured grains.
- The grains may be infected by various organisms before or after harvesting causing discolouration, the extend of which varies according to season and locality.
- The infection may be external or internal causing discoloration of the glumes or kernels or both.
- Dark brown or black spots appear on the grains.
- The discolouration may be red, yellow, orange, pink or black, depending upon the organism involved and the degree of infection.
- This disease is responsible for quantitative and qualitative losses of grains.
- Avoid heavy nitrogenous fertilizers.
- Spraying of Carbendazim + Thiram + Mancozeb (1:1:1) 0.2% at the time of 50% flowering stage.
- TamilNadu Agritech Portal