Goats can be kept with little expense. Marginal or undulating lands unsuitable for other types of livestock may be used and any inexpensive shelter can suffice. The goat farm buildings are constructed without any careful planning and designing. While preparing the house for goat care should be taken that it provides sufficient ventilation. It should be able to protect goats from adverse weather like hot sun, heavy rains and chilling cold. In Goa due to heavy rain goats are always preferred to be housed at a raised platform. This helps for proper drainage and to maintain dry flooring. The following points should be considered in selecting the site for constructing goat pens/sheds.
1. The site of goat sheds/pens should be on higher land with better drainage.
2. Plenty of good quality water should be available for drinking and cleaning of pens.
3. The orientation of the sheds should be on “east-west direction”.
4. Goat houses with the raised slatted floor are best and suitable in hot, semi-arid and humid climatic areas and perforated floors for small goat units. The wooden slatted floor is raised about 1-1 Ii meters off the ground. This helps for the collection of manure and to maintain the hygienic condition of the goat house.
- Central Coastal Agricultural Research Institute, Ela, Old Goa, Goa