Citrus Black fly: Aleurocanthus woglumi
Symptoms of damage:
- The cell sap is sucked from the leaves – piercing stylet
- Leaf curling
- Leaves fall off immaturely
- Honeydew secrecation development of sooty mould fungus
- Leaf turns to black in colour and affects photosynthetic activity of the leaves
- Affected trees produce – few blossoms which develop into insipid fruits
Identification of pest:
- Nymphs: Are flattened, oval in shape and scale like in appearance
- Adult: Minute insect, shiny black with grey dusting on the body. Wings are extending beyond the tip of the abdomen.
- Collect and destroy the damaged plant parts along with nymphs, pupa and adults
- Spray with 2 ml of chloropyriphos per litre of water
- The entire plant canopy should be drenched with the solution.
- Encourage activity of parasitoids, Encarsia sp., Eretomocerus serius and chlysoperla sp
- TamilNadu Agritech Portal.