Castor Semilooper: Achaea janata, Paralelliaalgira
Symptoms of damage:
- Damage to complete defoliation
Identification of the pest:
- Larva: semilooper with varying shades of colour with black head. Abdomen has a red spot on the third abdominal segment and red tubercules in the anal region
- Adult: pale reddish brown moth with hind wing having white spot in the middle and three large white spots on the outer margin
- Larva: semilooper, olive grey colour with numerous longitudinal lines
- Adult: Forewings are white in colour with suffused band beyond it, Hindwing has white median band, the outer margin grey at centre
- Spray any one of the following insecticides thrice from flowering at three weeks interval
- Malathion 50 EC 2.0 l/ha
- Carbaryl 50 WP 2.0 kg/ha in 1000 l of water
- Apply neem seed kernel extract 5%+Neem oil 2%.
- TamilNadu Agritech Portal.