Cardamom Thrips: Sciothrips cardamom
Symptoms of damage:
- Panicles become stunted
- Shedding of flowers and immature capsules thus reducing the total number of capsules formed.
- Infestation causes the formation of corky encrustations on pods resulting in their malformed and shriveled condition.
- Such pods lack their fine aroma and the seeds within are also poorly developed.
Identification of pest:
- Eggs kidney shaped lays singly in the tender part of the leaf sheath, racemes
- Adult: is minute, dark greyish brown with fringed wings.
- Regulate shade in thickly shaded areas.
- Spray insecticides like quinalphos 0.025% or phosalone 0.07% during March, April, May, August, and September.
- For effective thrips management precautions like trashing before insecticide spray, avoiding spraying during heavy rain, using 250 to 500 ml spray fluid depending on canopy growth and proper coverage to panicles and one-third portion, of plants from the base of plants are to adhere strictly.
- TamilNadu Agritech Portal