Cardamom aphid: Pentalonia nigronervosa f.caladii
Symptoms of damage:
- Nymphs and adults suck up plant sap.
- Colonies of aphids are seen under concealed conditions inside leaf sheaths of the older pseudostems.
- The aphids act as a vector of the mosaic or ‘Katte’ virus of cardamom.
Identification of pest:
- The wingless aphid is dark brown, pyriform.
- Winged aphids have wings having prominent black veins
- Removal of Colocasia and other hosts in the vicinity of cardamom plantation is recommended.
- Remove partly dried and decayed pseudostems which harbour the colonies of aphids to reduce aphid population and
- Foliar spraying with dimethoate 2 ml/lit at an interval of 2 weeks in November and April gives adequate control.
- TamilNadu Agritech Portal