Major diseases of Ber are:-
1.Powdery mildew of Ber: Oidium erysiphoides f. sp. zizyphi
- The developing young leaves show a white powdery mass causing them to shrink and defoliate.
- Small, white powdery growth appears on the young fruits which later enlarge and coalesce and final turn brown to dark brown.
- In severe cases, the whole fruit surface gets covered with the powdery mass.
- Affected young fruits drop off prematurely or become corky, cracked, misshapen and underdeveloped.
- Matured fruits turn rusty. Sometimes the whole crop is rendered unmarketable.
- Spraying of dinocap 0.05 per cent or wettable sulphur 0.25 per cent should be done during first and third weeks of November or when the fruit attains pea size.
- Triton-AE or Teepol or Sandovit may be added for adhesion.
2. Ber leaf spot: Alternaria chartarum
- The disease is characterised by the formation of small irregular’ brown spot on the upper surface of the leaves.
- On the lower surface, dark brown to black spots are formed.
- The spots coalesce to form big patches. The diseased leaves later drop.
- Plant debris serves as a potential source of primary infection.
- The disease can be controlled effectively by spraying Mancozeb 0.25 per cent
3.Ber Soft rot: Phomopsis natsume
- The disease appears as a light russet vinaceous coloured, irregular spot on the fruits.
- It increases in size and makes the whole fruit into pulpy, brown to black in colour with soft and loose outer skin.
- The disease can be-controlled by spraying with Carbendazim 0.05 per cent.