Beetle borer: Onthophgus spp.
Symptoms of damage:
- Larva makes the bore hole which is neat, circular tiny and at right angles to the pericarp mostly on the ventral side.
- When attack is on young immature capsules, they put forth matured appearance, decay and drop off.
- Adults beetle bores the flowers and feed on tissues
Identification of pest:
- Adult: small, dark brown, cylindrical beetle with short thick erect hairs covered all over body.
- The elytra are hard and shiny.
- Judicious shade regulation
- Spraying of contact insecticide viz., quinalphos @2ml/lit
- TamilNadu Agritech Portal