Bark borer: Indarbela tetraonis
Symptoms of damage:
- Young trees may succumb to the attack.
- Caterpillars bore into the trunk or junction of branches
- Caterpillars remain hidden in the tunnel during day time and come out at night, feed on the bark.
- Presence of gallery made out of silk and frass
Identification of pest:
- Larva – Stout and dirty brown in colour.
- Stout yellowish –brown moth with brown wavy markings on the forewings
- Hind wing is a white colour.
- Males are smaller than the females.
- Remove and destroy dead and severely affected branches of the tree
- Remove alternate host, silk cotton and other hosts
- Grow tolerant mango varieties viz., Neelam, Humayudin.
- Padding with monocrotophos 36 WSC 10 ml in 2.5 cm /tree soaked in absorbent cotton.
- If infestations are severe then apply the copper oxychloride paste on the trunk of the tree.
- Hook out the grub from the bore hole – apply monocrotophos 36 WSC 10 to 20 ml/ hole
- One celphos tablet (3 g aluminum phosphide) per hole
- Apply carbofuran 3G 5 g per hole and plug with mud.
- TamilNadu Agritech Portal