Advantages of Ratooning:-
- Reduced cost of production through saving in land preparation and care of the plant
during early growth of the clone; such early growth is eliminated because of the presence
of a readily formed root system. Ratoons are economical by about 25 – 30 per cent in the
operational cost because of saving in the cost of setts and initial preparatory cultivation.
- Better utilization of growing season, especially in monsoonal climates
- Higher yield per unit area in a given period of time.
- Can be used in breeding to maintain the same plant of a clone through several seasons.
- Often uses less irrigation water and fertilizer than the main crop because of the shorter
- Ratoons save time as they establish early and in general mature early. Therefore they
can be harvested early. Farmers will get time to grow other crops or have enterprises in
- Ratoons stabilize the cane area of a factory. Each year, the factory will have assured
cane area to the extent of ratooning, which is around 40-50 per cent in most areas and
therefore every year the effort for planting is limited to the fifty per cent of the total cane
- Cane yields are generally lower than plant crop yields.
- Nitrogenous fertilizer requirement is more.
- In almost all the places, the ratoon crops receive neglected attention. Neglected cultivation makes the ratoon crops more prone to pests and diseases.
- Under some situations in certain varieties, flowering takes place and unusual delay in the harvest and particular conditions might result in the increase of fibre content that might ultimately affect the sugar recovery.
- Sugarcane Breeding Institute, Coimbatore-641 007
- TamilNadu Agritech Portal